Flu season this year seems to have been one of the hardest I have seen in a while… We were all sick at home, taking turns at the doctor for more than a month. I had been away in Spain checking the renovation at my aunt’s apartment, and to my return I found my daughter still with a strong flu and without any strength. I asked her what she would like to eat… sitting on the sofa looking pale, she replied… “tomato soup from real tomatoes please… that goooood sh_t!!!”
So here is the recipe… the soup brought a great smile to her face, and I enjoyed watching her eat it, savouring every spoon. This is a vegan recipe.
- Olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 onions
- 2 kg. of ripe tomatoes
- Basil leaf
- Fresh thyme
- 2 cups of vegetable stock
- salt, pepper to taste
- Fresh basil leaves to serve
- Chop onions, celery and garlic
- Heat olive oil, add onions, celery and garlic until brown and caramelised.
- Chop tomatoes, add them to the caramelised onions
- Add laurel leaf and thyme and cook for 10 minutes
- Add vegetable stock, simmer for 15 minutes
- Take out laurel leaf and thyme
- Blend soup with a hand blender
- Strain it, and season it with salt and pepper.
- Serve it with a splash of fresh olive oil, fresh Basil or parsley and homemade garlic croutons.
- For homemade croutons, just cut bread in small pieces, any white or wheat bread will do… add some olive oil to a pan, roast a clove of garlic, add the bread keep moving it until it is brown.
2 Comments Add yours
Oh no, I hope everyone is feeling better. The flu is no joke. Yum, I’m saving this recipe, I love tomatoe soup and I’d like to try it homemade.
LikeLiked by 1 person
All fine now…. looking forward to spring. Try the soup… and let me know!!!